Wednesday 13 May 2015

Review : Avengers - Age of Ultron


AVENGERS : AGE OF ULTRON When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner try to jump start a dormant peacekeeping program called Ultron, things go horribly wrong and it's up to Earth's Mightiest Heroes to stop the villainous Ultron from enacting his terrible plans.

This is the kind of make believe action film which allows you to escape from the real world and re enter marvel world once again. If you liked Avengers Assemble then that chances are you'll enjoy Age of Ultron as well. 

The great works of Marvel Films do it yet again, producing yet another truly excellent production, it looks good, it sounds terrific, mind blowing special effects - especially if you experience them in 3D. 

The storyline for Ultron is Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go a bit pear shaped and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put together again as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to the Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for a global adventure.

Just a quick word of warning, I should point out I am not a huge marvel fan, my opinions are not relevant, however I shall have my opinions but if they're are any marvel fans reading this, please don't be disheartened in what I say. This blog, I talk about films and I sometimes divide opinion and I shall have my opinions.
Coming up with the story for me with this, it lies in the diversity of the story telling and if you can pull that off well you got the foundations of a good film, in the case of Ultron is about your threat in the heart of the story and building up a problem around that and the marvel heroes coming together again after Assemble to join forces and beat the villain in the end. 

The problem is (and I will probably get crucified for this) there are far too many characters in this story. That's the main problem, just too many people. I know the basic principal of an avengers film is to have all the marvel heroes come together and it does work in comic book land, the trouble with it not working so well this time around is that the characters dynamics are very different in terms of the way they see things in approaching the problem at hand, this could have been slightly more condensed as say an Iron Man story for example and not have all the other characters in, getting in the way.

It does seem to be a bit of an exaggerated plot, more so than what it turns out to be. I think the action was over pitched and the balance of action and drama in this wasn't quite right. too much concentration of watching things get blown up and 'epic' battles between the good guys vs the bad guys it all seemed to me a little to over the top and though this adds value to the whole comic to screen thing - everything is supposed to be like that. Personally I felt the story could work as well with a little less of the crashing and bashing and the whole wham bam thank you mam routine. 

On a contrast visual perspective the effects are stunning and the film is really well edited, there is no doubt about that in my mind. I just feel that graphically stunning visual effects and green screening and massive explosions and impressive sound effects are more important to people then going into depth of the story and in terms of the way I view things I like to overview the film as a whole and have a good balance of visual stuff within the story, and it was the other way round it was a story within the visual effects. It's not a bad thing necessarily I just find it a bit strange.

Therefore overall 6/10 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment