Wednesday 30 October 2013

Review : The Phantom of the Opera



The Phantom of the Opera :  Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical extravaganza, adapted to media of film. It tells the story of a disfigured musical genius, hidden away down in his own Paris Opera House, at night he terrorizes the opera company for the unwitting benefit of a young protegee whom he trains and loves.

Hello Everyone

As you can understand, the Halloween fetish of Spooky movies are still going on the blog.

Today, on the blog I'm reviewing the endevuring 'Phantom of the Opera' adapted from the stage show by Andrew Llyod Webber. Before I go on with this review, I haven't seen the stage show, so my knowledge of how the story is told in theatre format and how things are done in the theatre are second to none. I have no knowledge, on that subject.

I do however know what happens in the story, and all that knowledge came from the film, I am exceedingly grateful to learn of the story and experience the vision that Andrew Llyod Webber had for this, It was delightful.

This film may not be the best musical movie I have seen, but it has been one of the most insightful. I learned a lot.

I'm sure to those who I am addressing who haven't seen either the play or the film, but are interested in seeing one or both of them will be eager to know, any juicy details about 'Phantom of the Opera' because the more information one has of something, there is a desire to see more of it. At least that's what I think. Your own personal opinion may agree or disagree with me intirly.

Well what's interesting about the film presentation of 'Phantom of the Opera' is though it was released in 2004, it's still seems more modern and mature in comparison to films being made today, which are more advanced in the way they go along with doing it, production wise.

It's starts off in black and white, and fades into color quite illustriously, it has a very alien feel to it. The fantastic musical score, and the haughtiness of it is picked up straight away from the atmosphere of the theatre, and the characters reactions. Overall It was well achieved.

All the songs are there, to an extent it captures the essence of the stage show, and the surrounding environments are more recognizable.

Observe in this clip.


I think the setting helps or assists the telling of the story well, it's set during the Victorian era. There is always something gloomy about that period in history, all sort of doom and gloom. The very haunting of it is, the Phantom represents a shadow, but because he owns the theatre he is an authoritative shadow which goes after what he desires, at least that is what I managed to pick up, with help from the setting. So the main advantage of this story is that it has it's sense of place.




The Phantom is most interesting character of the piece, though you have your Simon Callows and your Murray Melvins, who are more essentially powerful characters, more swerve and decedent, my interest was in The Phantom, I think that's what sells it. He's the character with the most mystery and impluence and I think audience's connect with that more, which is why The Phantom's such a great character.

There's not much I can say really, other than the fact that it's really good, and embevingly haunting. 8/10.

Thanks for checking this review out, what there was of it.

I'll see again soon shortly.

NEXT: I will review my last Halloween film of the week 'The Woman in Black' and what a film to go out on. I will review that on Halloween day itself  31st of October. See you all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment