Sunday 6 October 2013

Review : Inglorious Bastards



 Inglorious Bastards:   Who doesn't like this film?  Since I've seen this, I've come across people in pubs and on the street, and family relatives who've seen this film, and thought it was brilliant.

Inglorious B's was always on my list for films to watch, and by chance I happened to watch it when it was being shown on telly. How fortunate was I? It was great for me to finally sit down and enjoy something. Because at the time when I first watched this film, I was left a little let down. I'd seen some really bad films in previous to this, and all of them were fairly recent. Then praise be, I watched Inglorious B's and when it finished, I took a sigh of relief in thinking 'good. not all films are terrible'.

From what I gathered with what this film had to offer, It didn't flip my switch immediately to want to watch it. It was simply by per chance that I happened to sit down, and watch it on my telly.

Quintin Tarantino has done it again! He directs what I think is a very well done story, great characters, beautifully acted, excellent script. All the ingredients for a great film.

The Story is set in Nazi-occupied France, during World War II. There is a plan to assassinate the Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers, who coincide with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same.

The young Jewish refugee 'Shosanna Dreyfus' witnesses the slaughter of her family by Colonel Hans Landa. Narrowly escaping with her life, she plots a dark and cold revenge several years later, when German war hero Fredrick Zoller takes a rapid interest in her, and arranges an illustrious movie premiere at the cinema she now runs.

With the promise of every major Nazi officer will attend, the event catches the attention of the "Basterds", a group of Jewish-American guerrilla soldiers, who are led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine. As the executioners advance and the conspiring young girl's plans which are set in motion, their paths will cross for a fateful evening that will shake the very annals of history.

Now all though Tarantino knows that the events he's writing are not based off true facts, what he does know is that because he's writing fiction based off true facts he can play with his audience, fantasising them with the 'what if' possibilities. There are also additional hints of narcissism, racism and fascism in the film which are picked up well. There isn't really any explanations that need to be given, it's all pretty clear.

Here's a clip from the film.



Even though this film is 153 minutes, it doesn't drag. Everything flows really nicely and each scene compliments the next one.

The graphic violence in this, a bit over done. It's your typical contemporary Tarantino blood and guts flying everywhere. Lots of people die in this story, Tarantino really doesn't mess around if there's a character in the script he thinks has no use for, he'll either kill them off dramatically or get rid of them the way he sees fit. As well as that Tarantino also uses bloody violence to create humour. The baseball bat beating scene, I thought had a double meaning to it. I think it was meant to be funny, and Tarantino does that a lot in his films.


Costumes and sets are all fantastic. Created to perfection, really is so perfectly 40's. I was amazed at how authentic this film looked, it would of been cool if when edited, they good of made the film more grainy, like the effects of a black and white movie. I thought that would of been cool. Picture quality is very clear to standard.

Brad Pitt, what a great choice of casting. He did an amazing job, what I love about Brad Pitt is that he knows he's not the best actor in the world, but yet still comes out an delivers an incredible performance. One of his best by far.

Christoph Waltz, as the villainous Hans Landa - Achieves pure nastiness through chief whit and charm, there's always something behind a smile. Though what makes his character interesting is that he's not actually a villain to himself. Tarantino makes us believe that he's bad, by showing us one half of the coin. When in actual fact, he's just a Nazi Officer, doing his job. The only time we see the other half of the coin, is the scene where he discusses with Brad Pitt's character the prospects of ending the war. I love that negotiation scene, it's very well acted, it's gripping tense, carefully directed.



I love the script. The fact that Tarantino wanted  Bard Pitt's character to give the Nazi's something they couldn't take off, Because a Nazi could just take off the uniform and seize to be what they are and so I thought that  by carving the symbol on their forehead - was simple straight forward message, It symbolises what he thinks and what the Brad Pitt character and Tarantino combined thinks of the Nazis. It's hilarious when he does it to the colonel.

It's just such a brilliant film. One of Tarantino's best.

The casting is correct, the script is excellent, the setting is immaculate. I can not fault it.

I'm going to give it a 9/10.

Thank you for reading this review.

NEXT TIME : I will review Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder. I'll post that review on Tuesday the 8th of October 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment