Thursday 27 June 2013

Review - Hitchcock











Hitchcock - By the time of the late 1950's influential filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock is about to face his toughest challenge yet. along side his wife Alma Reveille showing full support, the two of them bend over backwards to finish filming Hitch's latest ambitious project - Psycho.

Hey Everyone

Welcome to another rant of a film review, in Today's review I will be talking about Hitchcock. The latest film looking into a section of the lives of Alfred Hitchcock himself, and his wife Alma. This section of Hitchcock's life and career as a director is very important, because it was the time when he was making 'Psycho', his most ambitious and successful film he ever made.

Hitchcock came to British screens on the 8th of February 2013, and was released in America on the 14th of December 2012.

SPOILER ALERT: Just a warning to say I will be revealing the odd spoiler or two, as I talk about the film. If your not ok with that, you should probably turn away now.

This film certainly does have a sort of "King's Speech" feel to it. It has that sort of feel that this is something special and worth seeing, It certainly aroused my interests. I thought the cast list looked very promising indeed, and the story was very appealing because it's about Hitchcock giving himself a challenge, and sticking to it.

Back in 1959, Alfred Hitchcock and his wife, Alma, were at the top of their game in the field of creativity as filmmakers amid disquieting insinuations about it being time to retire. In order to recapture his youth's artistic daring, Alfred decides his next film will adapt the lurid horror novel, which in this instance turns out to be - Psycho.  Already we got a good story forming together.

Over everyone misgivings. Unfortunately, as Alfred self-finances his house and labours on this new production, Alma finally loses patience with his roving eye and controlling habits with his actresses. When an ambitious friend of hers invites her to collaborate on a work of their own, the resulting marital tension colours Alfred's work even as the novel's inspiration and haunts his dreams.

Alfred and Alma work together as a team, to finish the film and publicise it as best as they can. It is to their amazement that the film is a success. Later goes on to be Hitchcock's most successful film he ever made.

And what I loved is 'The Birds' hint at the end with the raven on Hitch's shoulder. I thought that was humorous as well as historically accurate. and also it felt to me very animated and well shot as well.



 If I'm being honest, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I mean I got very hyped up by all the trailers and the publicity stuff. It was something I felt was worth watching, It was very good indeed. It was very historically accurate to Hitchcock's life and career. It was diverse, It was funny as well.

It did get a bit boring after a while, things didn't progress as well as I thought they would. This is a film that you really need to sit down and watch, and your attention needs to be on it.

Though I thought all the sets were authentic, The Studio settings very original made it look like a 50's film set. The costumes were accurate, very plain colours to show the mood of the characters and the people the actors were playing, hair and make up I thought was all very well done, the music was well composed and automated to fit within scenes - for instance the scene where they editing the scary music into the shower scene was an example of that.

I thought Anthony Hopkins as 'Hitchcock' was really good, although mind you he is unrecognisable in all his make up and latex mask that he's wearing. But then again it's done so well, you as a viewer would believe he is his 'Hitchcock' because he looks like him and resembles him.

I thought Dame Helen Mirrin as Alma also gave another great performance, because she's a really good actress. She plays the role as it is with no strings attached.

I think they worked well together as a pair. There certainly was a relationship somewhere between the characters.



So would I say 'Hitchcock' is worth watching. I would say 'Yes' but only if you are prepared to give your full attention to it,and your willing to sit down and watch it.

I will give it a 6/10

Thank you for reading this review.

NEXT TIME : I will review the beginning of an incredible journey for lovable Hobbit - Bilbo Baggins as I talk about 'The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey'.

I will post 'The Hobbit' review on Friday the 28th of June 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment