Saturday 22 June 2013

Review - Unknown




Unknown - After a saviour life threatening car accident, Dr Martin Harris falls into a coma, he wakes up only to discover that someone has taken on his identity and that no one, not even his wife, believes or remembers him. With the help of a young woman, he sets out to prove who he is, but a very dangerous organisation is determined to stop him.

Hello Film lovers

Welcome to my next Dr Film review. In today's review I'm placing my thoughts on an action,mystery, thriller 'Unknown'. In which Liam Neesan plays a scientist, who's identity gets replaced after he wakes from a coma.

SPOILER ALERT: You know the drill.

People who I have talked to about this film have all said that they were a bit sceptical. things were slow, it was eventually just 'The Bourne Idenity' with Liam Nessan. Now I don't wish to discredit the opinions of others because they have a point and they're partly right, I personally think 'Unkown' is a fresh,new mystery thriller, that is very different to anything else that went out at the time. It's not brilliant, but then I'm not expecting it to be. All films have their faults and people seem to misjudge 'Unknown' for having a lot of faults. I intend to prove through my opinion, that some of the faults are there, but not neccacarly all the way through the course of the film.

This film came out in the US on the 18th of February 2011 and opened in the UK on the 4th of March 2011. It is now available to buy to DVD and Blu-Ray. On Itunes, and to download worldwide.

I'll be honest, I was pleased to see Liam Neesan back playing the main role in an action type movie. Obviously because he was brilliant in 'Taken'. It seemed natural that fans of Liam Neesan such as myself, would go in feeling happy to see our star back on the screen again. I liked the background of his character Dr.Martin Harris, I thought Liam Neesan's involvement involvement in the film was intriguing. I thought he played the part brilliantly and dead straight.

The Film is about a biochemist and his wife, who arrive in Berlin for a conference at which a scientist and his controversial Arab funder will announce his breakthrough research, to the world. While his wife checks into the hotel, he grabs a cab to return to the airport for his briefcase, left at the curb, however an unavoidable auto accident puts him in a coma, from which he awakes four days later without any identification and with gaps in his memory.

He goes back to the hotel: his wife can not recognise him and another mystery man has claimed his identity. With help from a nurse, the cab driver, a retired Stasi agent, and an academic friend, Martin Harris tries to unravel what's going on but trying to stop him are some very bad men, keane on blowing up the conference completely. creating a public scandal instead of a worldwide break through.

The twist in the tale is Liam Neesan's character is actually a member of this terrorist organisation, who prevent bad things they believe from happening to world by killing, sabotaging or blowing things up. He was supposed to set off a bomb in the hotel which he planted, but when the accident happened he had to be replaced, and the problem that Liam Neesan's character had was he just believed that he was his alter-ego. Luckily he prevents a disaster from happening, and he starts again on a blank sheet of paper. possibly events could left off could lead to a sequel? who knows? it's just a suggestion.

Liam Neesan pulls off another fantastic performance, It may not be have been one of his most memorable performances ever. I do believe that he's a great action man, and is suited to that sort of heaving action and hard hitting drama. 'Unknown' was another opportunity for him to prove that, and I thought he did very well.

The Script was intreeging, It really grabbed and aroused my interests. some good characters with depth and intellect. It gave the story something to go upon, and in all honesty drove the story forward.

The action sequences, were frequent but when there were fights and heavy action it was really good. I thought all the explosions were brilliant, very precise and clean cut. which in turn made it stand out as a vital part of the movie, it makes me as a viewer excited and very on edge, which in turn brings out different levels of enjoyment I have for the film.

I thought that the sequence with the cab, and the slow motion crash scene was done really well. a very animated effect. but gave me as a viewer a chance to see things more clearly, and have an observant point of view of what was going on. It was a great effect.



I thought all the location shots were pulled off very authentically, and gave off a dark, disheartened mood.

The Director Jaume Collet-Serra, did a brilliant job at showing how he wanted certain scenes shot. I thought he thought that the way to shoot an action thriller was to be very clean cut, which is fine. every director has his or her mark of things. But to think such a thing all the time can get a bit boring. I don't think he directed this with excessive variety. everything was very clean cut and precise. 



In a nutshell 'Unknown' is a great watch, not a brilliant film but then again, it doesn't have to be for you to really enjoy it.

I'm going to give 'Unknown' a well deserved 7/10

1 Gold Star to Liam Neesan

Thanks again for reading another review of mine :)

NEXT TIME: I will review 'A Good Day to Die Hard' which explores new depths of Bruce Willis as John McClaine.

I will post that review after the weekend on Monday the 24th of June 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment