Saturday 18 October 2014

Review : Begin Again



Begin Again :  A chance encounter between a disgraced music-business executive and a young singer and songwriter who is new to Manhattan turns into a promising collaboration between two talents as they go out to make an album together.

Hello Again.

Begin Again, that was a film for the summer 2014. It was interesting, and I enjoyed it to an extent, but in reality looking back on it, you do tend to start picking out mistakes and viewing it very differently. Let me put this way in a more simpler form. The first half is quite slow, in terms of the passing of it and in terms building up dramatic interest in the storytelling. The second half is worse than the first and the ending is very weak.

I know I am not sounding complimentary towards this, I actually enjoyed this film more than others did. This film never really sits right with me fitting it into a category of good or bad. I think for me, it is ok. It's hardly anyone to fault here with people coming in and out of every scene and telling a diverse, contextual, dramatically engaging and sometimes funny tale. I watched it the first time around and really quite liked it, I didn't love it but I thought it was 'ok'. Then I started to think about it more and the more I think about, the more I was reminded of what was wrong with it. There is a lot wrong with it, if you know where to look.

The acting was fine, nothing wrong with the acting. I thought it was edited really well. precise, clean cut and inventive in the way of location filming. I think that my main bug with this film probably lies within the script and the storytelling. To me I didn't think there was no where near enough story in the context of what the film had to offer to make the film last as long as did, and when It did eventualy come to a close. I thought to myself 'Is this it?' I wanted more out of it.

It just didn't sit right with me in my mind. But that's probably because I am now veiwing this film in a far different perspective now. If this had been 3 or 4 months ago. I'd be going about things in a far more diffrent way. 6/10

NEXT : Hector's Search for Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment