Friday 10 October 2014

Review : Bridesmaids




Bridesmaids, everyone loves it. Its a well received genuinely like film about two friends, one of which is getting married and the other friend is one of her bridesmaids amongst many others. It's a film of many things, it's a comedy but at the heart of it has a sentimental value of companionship and friendship, and that in itself is communicated in the script and the performances from everyone of the cast.

I do enjoy this film to an extent, I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was one of my favouirte ever comedies. But it is a film which I can stick on, watch and thoroughly enjoy no matter what mood I am in. That's always a good thing in my books when you think about it.

The film itself is about  the competition between the maid of honor and a bridesmaid, over who is the bride's best friend, threatens to upend the life of an out-of-work pastry chef. Directed by Paul Feig and Co Wrote by Kristen Wiig who plays 'Annie' in the film. It's always nice when I see someone write a film or tv series and star in it as well, not many people do that, which is why it works so well and makes that person stand out as an individual.

In retrospect there is a lot of girlish humour in this, and the fact that it's all women and women doing embarrising things. I love all that, it's very enegetic there's good contrast in all the characters communicated in the script, the sense of love, companionship and friendship. And it is funny, the film is very funny and there's just nice clean little touches which make it stand out as something big.

Here is a comedy clip


If I was to pick something out it would be the fact that this a comedy which has limitations in providing an equal amount of everything. There isn't as much conflict in this film, there is with Annie and Rhodes when argue and Annie has a falling out with Lillian but like any conflict it gets resolved.

I think what it needed was the dynamics of the right balance of conflict and compition to make it all the more dramatically interesting for the audience. It has a bit of it, I think the comedy element and the jokes help it a lot. It's a very funny film. I think without that comedic point of interest the film would just be very plain. So It is all the better that the comedy works well within the drama of the film itself.

Overall, I think Bridesmaids is good. However not brilliant so it has to be a 7/10 from me. Some of you may think that's too low a score to give it. But for me, that's a fair as it gets.

NEXT : Begin Again

No comments:

Post a Comment