Tuesday 28 October 2014

Review : FURY

FURY

 

The year is 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face the overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike back at the heart of Nazi Germany.

Okay so Fury, a David Ayer film. Written and Directed by David Ayer. Starring Brad Pitt is an adventure film set to entertain against all odds it comes against, considering that there is some stiff and diverse compition out there, the one thing that merits this film is the point of relaism of it's boldness into advertsing all it's boldness into something couragously adventerous and human at the heart of it.

From what I can gather, it's not a tough film to follow. It's a fairly basic plot with a lot of interesting stuff going on in the background to set up a story. In a story there has to be drama and in every drama there has to be conflict. If there's not conflict, you don't have a drama. It's as simple as that. You can only have a good, constructive, engaging drama if there's devine conflict at the heart of it to make it all the more interesting for the audience. 

I mean take 'Fury' for example, You got Brad Pitt - he's one of the good guys or he's lead to belive to be one of the good guys, he and his band of merry men are prepared to face the overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike back at the heart of Nazi Germany. Would you say that's a good conflict? I certainly would. Already you got the basis of a good story. The concepts there... but what is missing? The relative engagemnet with the audience. As an audience member, if I'm going to be drawn into this and enjoy it, I want to know if I'm going to get any pay back from it at the end of it. In the case of 'Fury' you don't get much payback, probably due to fact that there is not much to go upon.

The film tries to be interesting, a little too hard it seems. It just seemed a little all over the place and very rushed to me in terms of storytelling. To me that isn't really constructive at all. That's sloppy, sloppy writting results in insuficant storytelling and insuficant characters creating insficant engagement with the audience. It's a shame because there is something very bold and honest about 'Fury' at the heart of it. It's just a pity for me that there is not much to go on, other than a plot synopsis which is almost like it's handed to you on a plate.

In terms of production and direction, I'd say it's much more improved. I thought it was a very contemperate, clean cut production. Moderatly combined to tie in all the boldness the film craves to give out in terms of engaging an interest. I mean if you take poster advertisement for example.


  • Grey background -  Suggests Doom and Gloom in the surrounding enviroment.
  • War background - Immediatly you understand that it's about War, because you got guns in the background.
  • Dirty Brad - A Dirty Brad Pitt adds interest because it's Brad Pitt, celebrity advertisement to help promote the film, also gives of a honest sense of humanity in his plain expression.
  • Costume - Brad's costume adds the authenticity to the time in which the film is set 1945, so it's exagerating a point of History context.
  • Slogen - a Slogen always backs up the point of which the main intention of the film prodicts in the title.
  • The Title - What the film is called. Every film needs to have a name.
  • Date of release, you get the idea





So all in all, on that side of the park the production is quite swift and has hardly any problems with me on which it stand. There is the slight odd cut in places which I found didn't need to be there, but other than that, I would say that it's a pretty decent, clean cut well done production. I mean that on everyside of the post production : Lighting, Sound, Costume etc you name it.

Another nick pick I have to point out, which pains me to say it but it's true. If you're thinking of going to watch this film, be sure to be aware of everything you see. As I found many, many faults with this and the film is disjointed. For instance, young actors, inadequite impressioning, dodgy dialouge to name a few. There are lines said which I wouldn't countermand being said in a background such as War Zone.

I know I am really bashing into this film and not sounding at all complementary but let me put it in it's simplist. I didn't necassarly look for good stuff because I enjoyed it more than I thought would. The pros do outscore the cons with this most definutly. Brad Pitt is fantastic, but than again he's Brad Pitt he's good in everything. David Ayer pulls off a really gutsy challenge quite well. It's very hard to buckle under the pressure and deliver a low par result, I think because David wrote the script for this as well as directed he can relax a bit and get the shots done the way he wants it. He has a back up blanket.

Overall, I would recommend going to watch this at a cinema near you. It's full of action, adventure and above all drama. If you like your drama, maybe this will be the thing to go and see. 7/10.

NEXT : Welcome to the Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment