Thursday 21 November 2013

Review : Gravity



G  R  A  V  I  T  Y

What if I was to tell you that there was a new Sci Fi thriller movie, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. And that it would be released tomorrow in cinemas everywhere and be in 3D? what would you say to that?

Gravity dares to demonstrate the possibilities of a scientists struggle to survive in space, when an expedition is interrupted by a passing meteorite storm. It's a fight for survival for Sandra Bullock as her character, Dr Ryan Stone tries as best as she can, for an hour and a half to get back to earth.

I know that some people say that some action thrillers are 'grippingly tense' as a way to promote the film in a dramatic way. I never really approved of that. Saying something that was 'grippling tense' or 'epic'. However, Gravity is what I don't like saying. 'Grippingly tense', 'epic', 'dramatic' and all of that other stuff. Call it what you must, and say what you think about it. it is a phenomenally brilliant film.

I loved it from start to finish.

I think what makes it so good is the fact that whole story is character based. It basis itself around one essential character, that character being Sandra Bullock's character. George Clooney, though a Hollywood movie star he's very much in the background of things, he's not around long enough to create as much of a dynamic impact in comparison to Sandra Bullock. I loved how we saw less of him and more of her, rather than the two of them as equals. 

I feel that Sandra Bullock played a much more interesting character than George Clooney. As George Clooney I thought was a bit of a chatter box, sometimes his character would talk random stuff about his social life, the next he's being instructive and very directive. So I wasn't sure as to what the deal was with his character, but never mind.

So the film starts off, with subtitled information which comes up on the screen that informs the audience, that life in space is impossible. before flashing to the opening titles and the film adventure itself. I liked that, really got me informed as a viewer and helped me to understand the nature of the surrounding environment that was being portrayed on screen.

 
The way it was shot in CGI, as shown above was very clever and constructive. It was a neat trick to film it under water in front of a green screen and mold everything in, so this film is very cleverly edited to convince the viewer of what they are seeing on screen is believable.

Here is a clip from 'Gravity'.


I really felt for Sandra Bullock in this film, she really captivated my sympathy. Even at moments when she thought she could give up she didn't. She kept going, and if 'Gravity' teaches you anything it's 'see what your doing through to end' or 'if you start something, finish it'. 

I didn't quite know what to expect, when watching 'Gravity' it did take me by surprise. A few faults however, I felt it was 30 minutes too short. The ending was particularly disappointing, Sandra Bullock arrives back on earth and that she walks out into the middle of nowhere, and that's the end. With a little bit more timing or a little bit more something else the ending could of been improved upon. Rather than it just cutting and that being the end. It was all over too quickly.

Also another problem with 'Gravity' was that even though it's hard to survive in space, I didn't get any sense of ideal threat. I got the peril, but not the threat and what annoys me is, lots of things could of gone wrong to spice things up, and they didn't. 

 

Other than that 'Gravity' has to ideally stick out to me, as being one of the best films released this year.

I'd give it an 8 or maybe a 9/10.

Thanks for checking out the blog, guys. Please continue to do so as I have more film reviews on the way.

NEXT: I'll review 'Bowfinger' starring Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy. The Con is On, Thursday 28th of November 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment