Monday 4 November 2013

Review : Philomena



Philomena

A world-weary political journalist picks up the story of a woman's search for her long lost son, who was taken away from her decades ago after she became pregnant and was forced to live in a convent.

Hi There Film Lovers.

Today, I present to you a brilliant new film, seriously, it's so good. I had the pleasure of seeing this on the Friday it came out. It is a production which basis itself on the most remarkable true story, of an Irish woman called 'Philomena Lee'. Judi Dench plays her to near perfection, Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope do a wonderful job of making it really funny and then very sad, because the facts of this story are heart breaking.

What I love about 'Philomena' is the fact that it's absolute pure drama from beginning to end, It reminded me of that programme shown on ITV 'Long Lost Families'. 

What's also interesting is that the events that accrue in this story, are not one of  rare happenstance, this is just an example of one of many stories. It's tragic how sometimes we have to make decisions that can pertenially effect the rest of our lives. 

This film also demonstrates the love a mother has for her son, and her struggle to find him again. I could notice the anxiety Philomena  has to know what happened to her son, after he was taken from her. That alone told me that this was going to be a good film, and as a person who doesn't know the story, I was hoping it would end well.

Here's a quick clip.

 

The Director of this film, is very famous because he is best known to the public for directing 'The Queen' starring Helen Mirran. I'm sure coming on to a project such as this, must of embraced lots of interesting challenges. 

Because there is a part of you in which thinks, you must get your tactics right in order to make what your making true to the facts of the story, If you don't get that right, then your educating your audience in the wrong way. Judi Dench talked about this in an interview with Graham Norton, and stated more or less what I just said, and she pleased when the real Philomena liked the film, and that to her is what counts, and I think she's right.

So in terms of directing, and staying true to the facts of the story, I thought that was all there. I sobbed at the end. It was so emotional towards the end. And what I liked the most is you got the little facts at the end, when the end credits went out. Again it educates the viewer, they take in more facts about the story, because the more they know, the more they will understand. There isn't any loose ends in the script, it's all pretty straight forward and clear.

The only negative point I would criticise on is the advertising, and the posters. 

 

Shown above is a publicity poster, shown in cinemas.

To me this communicates the wrong sort of message, Yes you got the two main stars of the film, which in my opinion sell the film, and are the film. However to me, it comes across to me as a comedy, when really it's not. I think there should of been more of a set back, to how the advertising should be presented to communicate the right of message to a kean eye walking past.

Other than that, I loved this film. It's out in cinema's now, go and see it if you haven't yet. Just remember to bring the tissues with you for afterwards.

Thanks for reading this.

NEXT : I will review 'Thor 2 - The Dark World' I will post that review next Friday. I will see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment