Thursday 18 July 2013

Review : Batman Begins



Batman Begins : After being mentally and physically trained by his mentor, Bruce Wayne becomes Batman and begins his war on crime to free the crime-ridden Gotham City; In order top avenge the death of his parents and  defeat the corruption that the Scarecrow and the League of Shadows have cast upon the city.

Hello Film Lovers

Welcome to the next Dr.Film review of the month, in today's reviews I will be beginning my reviews for the Christopher Nolan - Batman trilogy. Over the next 3 days, I will be reviewing all three Nolan Batman movies, as I did with the Hangover trilogy, just so I can look back on each of the three movies with fondness and explore the world of Bruce Wayne, through Nolan's eyes.

Every Journey has a beginning, so I will start off with 'Batman Begins'. Released back in June 2005, Starring Christian Bale, Micheal Caine and Liam Neesan in the leading roles. 

The Story starts off with giving off the starting point to Bruce Wayne's story, before he became Batman; When his parents were killed, millionaire playboy Bruce relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. 

When learning about the plan to wipe out evil and destroy Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents the plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the hearts of criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long.

In a sense there is a message of 'The mantel of Batman is more than a suit, it's more than a job. It's a legend. It's whats needed to strike fear into the hearts of criminals, remember criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot. If they see you out there, they have a reason to be afraid. Batman gives them something to be afraid of' and that message never goes away, during the procreation of the first film. It stays with the audience from when Bruce puts on the Batman suit for the first time in Batman Begins, to the very end of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

The attention to detail, in Batman Begins is so well interiated and designed, and the production on it is just fantastic, and for a production released in 2005, It was very good going of them to create something so brilliantly detailed and crafted. for example 'Wayne Manour' I thought all the sets for Wayne Manor were great, sort of 1800's feel to it, gives off big impression for the big pressures Bruce Wayne is under as Bruce Wayne and as Batman. I believe Nolan shows that off brilliantly.





  

However, If I'm honest with you my absolute favourite scene from 'Batman Begins' is the final climatic fight scene on the train, between Batman and the main villain Liam Neesan's - Ra's Al Ghul. I though the fight sequence was very clean cut, built up dramatically through the music and over all brought tension to me as a viewer, so all in all very good going, I think that's a brilliant scene.

Idea wise, I liked the idea that The League of Shadows were going to terrorise Gotham by inflicting a terror gas across the city through using Gotham's water supply; it's a clever way to do it. It was well written, and well included Cillian Murphy as 'Scarecrow / Dr Craine'.

Performance wise, I can't really say an awful lot about the actors performances; because no one really stood out to me as being better than anyone else, I thought all members of the cast of 'Batman Begins' were great, they were equal to their own level as well as other members of the cast. I liked everyone, even the extras did a good job.




'Batman Begins' offers something different, than any other Batman movie released previous, it has emotion, it has depth to the story, it has very good attention to detail. I would recommend though, You should probably watch 'Batman Begins' a few times in order to get it. You do need to watch it a few times, in order to understand the true meaning behind it, to expect the unexpected and embrace the challenges that this movie throws upon it's viewers.

Overall, I would say a very decent start to something that could only get better as it goes along.

I'll give 'Batman Begins' a 7.5/10

Thank you for reading this review, I hope you enjoyed it.

TOMORROW: I will review 'The Dark Knight' a film that has gone down in movie history as being ' a masterpiece'

No comments:

Post a Comment