Tuesday 16 July 2013

Review : This is the End

This is the End - While attending a massive party at James Franco's house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other well known celebrities are faced with a terrifying apocalypse.



Hello Everyone


Welcome to my next Dr.Film film review, which is the new Seth Rogan movie 'This is the End'. A movie I was very excited about watching, I thought the concept was great, I thought the celebrities were very well chosen; it's very much like "extras" where the celebs involved play over exaggerated versions of themselves, which is great. I love a laugh.

I'll be honest I wasn't expecting much, I knew it was going to be about the end of the world, but I had no idea that the cast members were going to be playing themselves, until I saw the trailers. Based on the trailers and all the publicity stuff, it really excelled my interests in wanting to go and see it. It was promoted very well, for something that came to my attention, at let's face it - the last minute. I had no idea that this was coming out.

The Story is takes place in Los Angeles in 2013. Whilst attending a party at James Franco's house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the climatic and terrifying apocalypse. To such lengths of six guys be stuck in a house. they are barricaded in, with little food and water. Between the six of them, although their friends there is a lot of conflict and disagreement that goes on between this group of friends.

Which I don't object to, arguments within a group are interesting, if they were to get on between the start and end of the film, the film would just get boring. I do feel some of the jokes were a bit over the top. I feel some of the acting was a bit hammy in places, namely from James Franco Danny McBride and Jonah Hill. Other than that, didn't really have a lot problems with 'This is the end' I thought it was a pretty decent film.



As far as jokes are concerned, this film could of been funnier. I smirked at some lines, but I during the whole course of the film, I didn't laugh out loud. One thing I really didn't like was the moderate sex references and penis jokes, they just weren't funny. they were stupid. There's an example of this when the guys are discussing what to do with Emma Watson, and Jay makes a suggestion for which is misunderstood, the whole raping Emma Watson thing just wasn't funny at all. As a comedy it was disappointing.

As a thriller it wasn't, I thought the director and Seth Rogan did a very good job at keeping the pace going. There were as I said conflicts and disagreements amongst several characters, and each character has something bad about them for which by the end they start to understand and learn from their mistakes. In the end, learn to repent so they can go up to heaven.

I thought, the whole set up of the destroyed world, was fantastic, it looked believable. It was atmopsheric, it was authentic, it gave off a dark mood to it which was awesome. It gave off a real christian sense of realism between the worlds of heaven and hell, and that this demon with five heads is coming back to walk the earth. That was all good, that made sense and fitted into the story really well. I also liked the look of heaven, that was good, as a christian it resembles everything id expect heaven to look like.



In a nutshell, This was in every sense of the word, and okay-ish movie. nothing special, not hilariously funny. Just ok. Seth Rogan's done better.

I'll give it a 6/10

Thank you for reading this review, if you don't like what I've said, it is just my opinion. I am very open to hearing other comments you have to say about the film. As I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

NEXT TIME : I will review Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Batman trilogy. Starting with 'Batman Begins' were the journey starts for Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne. I will start the Batman reviews on Thursday the 18th of July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment