Saturday 6 July 2013

Review : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter : Year Six - The Half Blood Prince - Harry Potter is about to begin his 6th year at Hogwarts, during one potions class he discovers by mistake an old book marked mysteriously "This book is the property of the Half-Blood Prince" and begins to learn more and more about Lord Voldemort's dark past.



Hey Everyone

Today I will be reviewing the penultimate Harry Potter adventure, before it's conclusion. This adventure of course being 'The Half Blood Prince' and was released as a movie blockbuster for 2009.

I will start this review off by saying this is a very gloomy story, it's quite dark, creepy and doesn't really lighten up any situations as to where 'Order of the Phoenix' left off.  I think 'The Half Blood Prince' is a film that progresses slowly and builds up it's tension, grabs the viewers attention. In the last concluding moments the viewer is shocked to have to mourn over the loss of a very important character.

This movie concentrates on Harry's relationship with Dumbledore, and Dumbledore's importance to Harry's life. It focuses on the importance Dumbledore's guidance is to Harry and Michael Gambon communicates this really well in his performance, he shows an insurity of trust that makes Dumbledore comes across as friendly.

The basic storyline of 'Half Blood Prince' entails, the sixth year of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft, and in both the wizard and muggle worlds Lord Voldemort and his deatheaters (followers) are increasingly active. With vacancies to fill at Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledore persuades an old friend and college of his - Horace Slughorn, to come out of retirement and back to his old job at Hogwarts as potions teacher. While Professor Snape receives long awaited news. Harry Potter, together with Dumbledore, must face treacherous tasks to unlock the secret that will enable them to defeat Harry's evil nemesis.



This movie is in every sense of the word for me, and okay-ish film. It's not perfect, It's not rubbish either. I do think it progresses a bit slowly than other Potter movies. It has basic concentration in bringing development out in characters which is good.

The humour in this, I felt there wasn't enough of it, because it was quite a dark and chilling story it had to lack being humorous in order to focus on being serious. I feel with 'Half Blood Prince' if you lose attention with it, it can get a bit boring.

I thought the effects of the time travel, and looking back into Tom Riddle's past was brilliantly accomplished, by the production team. That was for me my favourite effect of the film.

Performance wise, for me I thought the best performance was Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughourn. He was brilliant at showing that he was hiding something, something that he didn't want Dumbledore to know. I really enjoyed watching Jim Broadbent in that role, thought it was a very good performance.



Overall there isn't an awful lot I can say about this film, It's not my favourite of all the potter films. effect wise it didn't really do anything special for me. I do think that it lacks my interest from time to time.

I'm going to give it a 6/10

Thank you for reading this review

TOMORROW: My Harry Potter reviews come to a close I will review the conclusion 'The Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2'

No comments:

Post a Comment