Saturday 20 July 2013

Review : The Dark Knight Rises






The Dark Knight Rises -  Eight years has passed since Harvey Dent died. a new and deadly evil rises from where the Batman and Commissioner Gordon tried to bury it, causing the Batman to resurface and fight to protect Gotham City... the very city which brands him an enemy.

Hello Film lovers

In today's review, I will review a fantastic film, a truly epic conclusion to the dark knight legend. The Dark Knight rises, sees the conclusion to the Christopher Nolan trilogy and sees Christian Bale hang up his mask and cape for good.

The film was a huge hit last year, with it being widely renounded as being one of the best films released in 2012. It stands out in my mind as being a great film, It didn't have as big an impact on me as much as 'The Dark Knight' did. However having said that, The Dark Knight Rises never fails to entertain me, and it's action packed, brilliantly directed and builds up to it's climax brilliantly.

The Story or continuation from where The Dark Knight left off is, Despite his tarnished reputation after the catastrophes of the joker and the fall of Harvey Dent, Batman feels compelled to intervene to assist the city and its police force which is struggling to cope with Bane's plans to corrupt and destroy the city.

Bane of course, is Batman's arch Nemesis in 'The Dark Knight Rises' and what a villain to pick for Batman to fight against. Bane has had a bumpy ride over the years of Batman movies. This time we get to see Bane in a new way, He's still tough and true to the character in the comic strips and graphic novels, but I think bringing the sense of intellect and morality to the character makes the character ever more intimidating.




Bane of course, is played by actor Tom Hardy, and Tom Hardy is just extraordinary in this, what he's able to do with his expressions and his eyes, it's really quite clever and unnerving. As I watch him, he's very plain sighted but he's playing a character who knows no boundaries, inside he's planning stuff, stuff we don't know about but we will do as the film progresses. Hardy communicates that to the audience with intimidating appeal, and expressions with his eyes and eye brows, it's difficult to act without your mouth, he did an amazing job, Tom Hardy, he did good with what he had.

People now and again complain about the plot holes in this story, though I wasn't aware there were so many when I first watched it, looking back on it now, It is a story that leaves the audience members asking a lot of questions - for example 17 minutes into the film, you got Alfred telling you how the film is going to end, some people may think that that was a clever pick up line, for me I knew what was happening whilst watching that that was going to happen

However in contrast to that the film also ends leaving people in believing that they have watched something incredible - for example that plan crash scene at the beginning with Bane was one of the best scenes I have seen in a film, in all the years I've been on this planet, which is all of 17 and a 1/2 years now, that scene blew me away.

It has to be said, Christopher Nolan does a great job on producing and directing this film, to the up most of abilities. It is a dedicated and very profounded piece with excellent casting, I mean Anne Hathaway as Cat woman was just incredible, one the best performances she's in a film by a mile.



As a story, I thought it was clever, I thought some of the explanations as to how what happened were clever, all the back story to the prison set in the pit was very detailed and fitted into the story perfectly, Bruce Wayne's courage and devotion was tested to the limit. At the time when I first saw it, I didn't really get all the messages, but now that I do. It makes perfect sense to me as to how he could escape, and why he needed to escape.

The final battle was brilliantly shot, very climatic and adaptable for the cinema, overly dramatic and had me on edge, which again was good.

In a nutshell, a really fantastic film. one of the best films I've seen in many a long day. A great way to end the story, not that I wanted it to end. There are a few plot holes which let the story down, should you care to question it, but still overly brilliant, visually stunning, great pop corn flick, it offers more than any Batman film can.

For that reason I'll give it a 8/10

Thank you for reading this review.

NEXT TIME : I will review 'Snakes on a Plane' next, Samuel L Jackson experiences extreme turbulence and tackles some unwanted guests in another high tense action thriller, I will post that review on Thursday the 25th of July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment