Thursday 30 May 2013

Review - The Hangover Part II

The Hangover - Part II : The continuation of The Hangover story, It is two years following the bachelor party in Las Vegas, and Phil, Stu, Doug, and Alan go off to Thailand for Stu's wedding. It is there that trouble seems to follow them where ever they go. Stu,Phil and Alan wake up in Bangkok and appear to have misplaced Stu's bride's little brother Teddy. And time is running out for the three originals, as they search from all over the city to find him.


Hello Everyone

Welcome to my newest film review, by Dr Film. In today's review I continue my quest on looking into 'The Hangover' story following the events that happen to Phil, Alan and Stu. three characters that have become exceedingly popular all over the world.

This film was released in the UK and in the US on the 26th of May 2011. It is available to buy on DVD,Blu-Ray and on Itunes.

As a sequel, Hangover 2 wasn't too bad. I'm very sceptical with sequels and tend to worry about wither or not the finished product will be any good, particularly as the first Hangover film did so well. I approached this with not very high expectations, because if Hangover 2 was better than Hangover 1 it would take away some of my feelings towards the first film. but if it was bad then I would be very disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT : As I do with all my reviews, there is going to be spoilers so if you haven't seen 'Hangover 2' and don't want spoilers to be revealed, then I suggest you give this review a miss for the moment.

Going into the storyline of 'Hangover 2' it's mainly based around Stu and the fact that he is getting married to his true soal mate. To accompanyny him to the wedding he brings Doug, Phil, and is recommended by his friends to regretfully invite Alan to Thailand for the wedding. 

After what was going to be a quiet night on the beach with a beer and toasting marshmallows by the camp fire, Stu, Alan and Phil wake up in a gun down, unhygienic apartment in Bangkok. Doug however is still at the resort and left out of things, but Teddy (Stu's future Brother - in Law) is missing, the four of them have a small monkey with a severed finger, Alan's head is shaved, Stu has a tattoo on his face, and they can't remember anything that happened last night. The wolf-pack are yet again left in a chain of events which allow them to retrace their steps through strip clubs, tattoo parlours and cocaine-dealing monkeys on the streets of Bangkok as they try and find Teddy before time is up and the wedding day comes.


  

This story to me felt more like an adventure, then the first film. more happened, it was just as funny as the first film. The character involvement was great, there was more mystery to the story, It had me guessing from start to finish, I thought the explanations were clever and worked really well. I was very pleased with this film, and what was really good about it was it didn't take away any of my feelings that I have towards the first film, it was equally as good and on par, and I have to say 'Thank god for that'.

As I said in my 'Hangover 1' review I wasn't so familiar with Todd Philips directing so I think had I been more familiar with Todd Philip's directing, I would have got the messages in the film more clearly. I had difficulty understanding the first Hangover film. But I didn't have that many problems with the second one, and I think that's down to fact that I was familiar with the humour and the profession that this was as I comedy, crude but quite clever humour based upon what could be very bad situations about loosing people forever, and both Hangover 1 and 2 had that level of seriousness to them, that feel of 'what if' and that is very disconcerting, especially for me.


I thought that this film brought loads of great new levels, to Stu's character and what he is about, and what his role in the three is. there wasn't so much concentration on Phil, and Alan had his moments, but I got the whole focus on Stu and after seeing this second film, Stu is the one to watch in the three for me, because unlike the other two, you never know what he'll do next, and that's very intriguing.

Todd Philips, came to direct this film as he did for the first one. again not familiar with Todd Philips as a director, so I didn't really have a lot of background with him as a directer which was a shame. I understand his humour a bit more but nothing really special was added.

The setting's in Bangkok, was a nice change to Vegas. very atmospheric. worked really well.






This film sees the return of 'Lesley Chow' played by  Ken Jeong. a very good performance, very much improved from the way his character was presented in the first film, over all very good. I like the character very much.

In a nutshell, If you unsure about seeing 'The Hangover 2' I would say give it a go. It has it's moments and then it doesn't. but over all I liked this film very much.

I'm going to this sequel a 7/10

Thank you for reading this review. 

My next review will be the epic conclusion to 'The Hangover' story, and to the Wolf - Pack adventures. Part III review will be posted on Friday the 31st of May 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment