Wednesday 1 May 2013

Review - Ted

Ted - A new comedy by Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane :  As the result of  his childhood wish one Christmas Eve, John Bennett's teddy bear, Ted, comes to life and has been John's best friend since - a friendship that's tested when Lori, John's girlfriend of four years, wants more from their relationship.



Hello Film fans, and welcome to another Dr. Film Film review.

Today I am reviewing Seth MacFarlane comedy 'Ted' written and directed and starring Seth MacFarlane in the role of the voice of 'Ted' also starring Mark Wahlberg as John Bennett and Mila Kunis as Lori Collins.

This film was released in the summer of last year; it was released in the USA on the 29th of June 2012 and released in the UK on the 1st of August 2012. It is now available worldwide to buy on DVD and on I tunes.

SPOILER ALERT: As I said in my previous reviews there's going to be spoilers so If you haven't seen this film and you don't want it to be spoiled then you should probably turn away now.

OFFENSIVE WARNING: Some of the jokes and humour in this film may be interprated and veiwed upon as something that some people may find offensive.

This film was approximately 106 minutes in total (1 hour and 46 minutes)

The Storyline of this film is about a young boy called John who lives in a neighbourhood who has no friends to play with and he gets a teddy bear for Christmas and makes a Christmas wish on the night before Christmas and his wish happens by bringing his one and only friend to life, his teddy bear.

Then through a long opening credit sequence which could have been toned down a bit we flash forward to see the two grow up together and John is 35 years old, he then is pitted into making a choice to stay with his girlfriend or keep his friendship with his crude and extremely inappropriate teddy bear, Ted.

In a nutshell I wasn't expecting much. because I had seen Family Guy on numerous occasions and approved of it. so I know all about Seth MacFarlane's humour on things.

And having just said that I think he did really well on this film, I enjoyed it ; I laughed at some scenes which is what the film set out to achieve if you see this film without laughing then you will probably feel that it hasn't done it's job.

I liked how he made Ted act in a way a normal bear would'nt act. he makes the role of a cuddly teddy bear look completly out of context. Ted is a rude, fowl mothed, inappropraite behaving teddy bear which some people may disaprove of, or possibly be offended by.

I also thought it did what it set out to achieve. and that to mw is all the matters.

Although some scenes could of been cut down. the balance wasn't quite right. there was either too much character development, or not enough character development.

One of the big problems I found with this was the character development. if I know too much about a character then it puts me off wanting to know them. if I don't know enough about a character ,I will sit there and go 'what is their role in the film'. so some pieces in the film were hard for me to understand. and when I watch it back I still don't get some of the character involvement.

I also thought this film's biggest problem was the trailer because all the good jokes were revealed in it so when it came to scenes like 'The Thunder buddies song' for example hardly anyone in the audience found it funny because they gave the game away with the trailer which was a shame.

I thought that Mark Wahlberg was really good but a little below par in this film, some of you may know Mark Wahlberg from films such as 'Max Payne', 'Broken City' and 'The Fighter'. This film however showed a soft spot to his career. what I mean by that is it showed that he can be a normal guy playing a normal role and being very funny in between.



As an idea, I would say that this film delivers and it is different and excellent showing of relationships. the value of friendship, the value of profession relationships, the value of love. all of those are tested, throughout the whole film. (not counting the beginning) so I liked those messages that were shown.

There are loads of great guest stars in this film like : Norah Jones, Sam J. Jones (Flash Gordon) and Tom Skerritt. It was nice to see those stars as guests in this film as it added a bit more variety to this film and made it feel a bit more special.

I liked the relationship between Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. I thought the two of them worked well together as a couple, and the relationship did what it needed to do.

In general I only found myself being interested in certain scenes. or liking only certain scenes, which humoured me or had something interesting going on.

Rounding this all up, 'Ted' is good, not great I'm going to rate this film 6/10.

I'm awarding 1 gold star to Seth MacFarlane
2 Silver stars to Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis

Thank You for reading this review, I hope you enjoyed it.

My next review is going to be 'Taken' starring Liam Neesan and that will be posted on Friday the 3rd of May 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment