Wednesday 15 May 2013

Review - Into Darkness

Star Trek : Into Darkness - After a terrorist attack in London, Captain Kirk and the rest of Star ship enterprise embark on a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.



Hello Everyone

Welcome to my newest film review. which is the new star trek movie starring Chris Pine and Benndict Cumberbatch.

SPOILER ALERT: As ever I am going to reveal a few spoilers as I talk about the film. so if you don't want things to be spoiled then you may want to turn away now. if you don't mind or have seen the film, then please read on.

Obviously this movie was a continuation of the first Star Trek film that came out in 2009, I'm not a fan of Star Trek. I have never been interested in it before, but when this aroused my interests I went into this with high expectations, hoping it would blow me away with the effects and so on.

This film came to the UK's attention on the 9th of May 2013 and came to the US's attention on the 16th of May 2013.

I'll be honest, the film was OK. it wasn't terrible, there were some dire moments and some scenes did drag on - scenes such as fight sequences and heavy action sequences just went on for far too long. It put me off the story a bit which was a shame.

The Plot basically is about the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving the world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score of vengeance to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love is challenged, friendships are torn apart, and sacrifices are made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

 

You have Bennidict Cumberbacth who is the villain of the piece a criminal murderer known as Khan. who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal, and he gets captured by Kirk and his two associates Mr Spock and Uhura. He voluntarily surrenders and is taken into captivity, and it is then secrets start to unravel in the plot and the story becomes a climatic thriller.

Kirk's star ship becomes under attack by the boss of the enterprise, who plans to take Khan into is own captivity, and plans to destroy Kirk and his crew if they do not submit. It is then they get the help on Simon Pegg's character Scotty who cuts the power on the big star ship, and helps Kirk and Khan smuggle aboard, events then turn when Khan, takes command of the ship and the torpedo's. now these torpedo's play a vital part in the story because inside these special space torpedo's contain people who are part of Khan's crew.

Khan plans to revive his crew and start again, but in a hostile manor plans to kill anyone who gets in his way for some reason or another. Kirk suffers as part of those consequences and gets killed, but with forced help from Khan he miraculously gets brought back to life, and Khan goes back to square one and is frozen again.

And story ends with Kirk and his crew going off into space on a five year mission.

As I mentioned earlier, the story was a bit boring and didn't really do anything special for me. I didn't feel entertained throughout the process of watching this film, I just went with the flow until it ended.

Having said that I had a chance to observe things from a observant point of perspective, the effects for instance they were brilliant. I highly recommend you go and see this film in 3D as the effects in 3D are too good to miss.

I thought the threat was real, I loved Bennidict Cumberbatch's character. quite sinister and calculating and over all a ruthless inhuman maniac who kills for the sake of killing. so I believed in his character all the way it's quite a contrast to his character of Sherlock who is a skinny, non violent, clever man.

 

I liked  performances from Chris Pine (Kirk) , Zoe Saldana (Uhura) ,Simon Pegg (Scotty) and
Peter Weller (Marcus) all good actors who did a good job, and put on a convincing performance.

I thought that JJ Abrams directing was very precise and well shot, he handled this project with both hands which is what you should do, in a situation as big as this.

There is a mixture of science,drama, action and humour in this film. which I didn't feel was right. the humour was unbalanced and all over the place, didn't laugh at any of the jokes presented. but then I didn't want to watch this film to have a laugh because it's not a comedy.

Overall I was happy with this film, I did enjoy it but for me it lacked some interest off me, particularly parts towards the end.

I am going to give this film 7/10

1 gold star to Benedict Cumberbatch

Thank you for reading this review, I hope you all enjoyed it and go on to watch the film in the future.

My next review is going to be 'The King's Speech' starring Colin Firth, Geoffry Rush and Helena Bohnam Carter and directed by Tom Hooper. I will post that review on Friday the 17th of May 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment