Friday 24 May 2013

Review - Iron Man 3



Iron Man 3 - Tony Stark can't sleep. As the world comes under threat by a formidable terrorist known as 'The Mandarin', Tony starts to rebuild his Iron Man suits, and form a retribution upon the threat of the world.

Hey Everyone, welcome to the newest Dr Film review. In today's review I shall be looking at the action packed conclusion to the Iron Man trilogy, starring Robert Downey Jr in the leading role of 'Tony Stark'.

I'm not a huge Iron Man fan, I have seen the first 'Iron Man' film and 'The Avengers' and judging by the trailer and all the publicity advertisisng for Iron Man 3, It looked to me, like it was going to be a good film.

SPOILER ALERT: As I talk about the film, there are going to be a few spoilers so If you haven't got round to seeing 'Iron Man 3' yet, and you don't want it to be spoiled, you should probably turn away now. however if you don't mind or have seen the film, then please continue reading, you may agree with my opinion or end up disagreeing completely.

This film was released in the USA on the 3rd of May 2013, and released in the UK on the 26th of April 2013.

I'm not in what cases put a 'Marvel' comic fan, I'm more of a 'DC' person. having said that Iron Man 3 was fantastic, it was visually spectacular especially in 3D. The story was strong, very well shot and a great watch all together, It really felt like a comic strip action adventure on the big screen, which to me made it believable, and with all the heavy action taking place, you end up being dragged along with the plot and just going with it and enjoying it for what it is - a good story.

The Storyline in tails Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) having trouble sleeping and keeping his relationship together with his girlfriend Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) and matters take a turn for the worst, when an anonymous terrorist known as 'The Mandarin' in the form of 'Sir Ben Kingsly' starts attacking the economy. Aggravated and Antagonised by the attacks Tony threatens to kill the Mandarin live on televisison, he gives him his home address and that results in his home being ambushed and destroyed, by hostile forces, luckily Tony, Pepper and Maya manage to escape from the blast, and Tony becomes a cast out, with no Iron suits or ammunition to defend himself with.

And it is mainly about the journey, at every turn, that tests Tony and his limits. with his back up against the wall, Stark then knows he has to protect those closest to him. As he fights his way back, Stark discovers the answer to the question that has secretly haunted him since the day he became Iron Man : does the man make the suit? or does the suit make the man?. and at the end of the film, which raps everything up the audience is left with the answer of 'Tony Stark is Iron Man'.



I thought Robert Downey Jr, was electrifying to watch. those of you may know Robert Downey Jr from other films such as 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'Due Dare';  he with no doubt in my mind, out shone the rest of the cast by a clear mile. I thought Sir Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin was really good, Sir Ben Kingsley is best known for his portrayal of 'Gandhi' and the twist at the end when you find out he's not a feared terrorist he's actually just a twit - a stage actor. It made things comedic and balanced things out, and I thought it was clever the way they did that.

I also really liked Gwyenth Paltrow and Guy Pearce, they were both fantastic as well. particularly Guy Pearce as the main villain, who the leader of these 'Fire people' who I call 'The Invincibles' because they are invincible, you try to kill them and they re heal themselves, so killing them isn't an easy job. It was clear to me that Iron Man had met his match with 'The Invisibles'. Guy Pearce himself, very charming yet very fierce and quite disconcerting as well, so overall I was pleased with Guy Pearce, he took me by surprise as being a baddie.

 

The Visual effects and Shane Blacks directing I thought was precise and cleverly put together, It gave me as a viewer a great incite as to how technology has progressed and is progressing, so it taught me a few lessons which I didn't expect and I think it just goes to show that the one way one can truly learn is by observing, as they intake information they never thought they were going to.

I wasn't all that familiar with Shane Black as a director, but that didn't put me off from enjoying the film, he was quite a precise director and was very clear in his shot particularly in his action sequences, he knew what he wanted and delivered that. so I was impressed. 

In a nutshell, Iron Man 3 is absolutely fantastic, in terms of acting, in terms of visual effects, in terms of story telling, in terms of rounding things up. I was very impressed with the story. I left the cinema speechless.

I'm going to award 1 Gold Star to Robert Downey Jr , 1 Gold Star to Sir Ben Kingsley, 1 Gold Star to Gwyenth Paltrow, 1 Gold Star to Guy Pearce, 1 Gold Star to Rebecca Hall and 1 Gold Star to Don Cheadle

1 Platinum Star to Shane Black

I'm going to give 'Iron Man 3' an 8/10.

Thank you for reading this review, My next review is going to be 'The Social Network' - The Facebook film starring Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake and Bryan Barter and directed by David Fincher, I will post that review on Saturday the 25th of May 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment