Monday 23 September 2013

Review : Toy Story



In 1995, Pixar delivered probably one of the best animated movies ever made. This isn't just my opinion. It's the opinion of many people who grew up watching this film, and loved it.

Hey Film Lovers

Welcome to my next review, which you may of guessed is 'Toy Story' A film which dares to go beyond the imagination of many children in thinking 'what if my toys could come to life?'. It tells the story, of how two rivals who start off by not seeing eye to eye, end up becoming very good friends. It's the story of Woody and Buzz.

Woody - a cowboy and sheriff, voiced by Tom Hanks. Woody sees himself as the top dog in Andy's room. Andy of course his the child who owns all these really cool toys. Woody being one of them. But of course the vast majority of you reading this review will already know that.

As a contrast to Woody, you have Buzz Lightyear. Voiced by Tim Allen, Buzz is the new toy on the market, and represents the toy of the generation, nowadays children want to play with newer, cooler, more advanced toys and Buzz is that toy. When Buzz makes an arrival in Andy's Room, Woody isn't at all happy with the new changes that are about to happen.

Here's a some clips from Toy Story.








You can tell the rivalry between these two characters at the start is hilarious. But hilariously bad that you mock it, hilariously funny as in you take pleasure out of it for making you laugh. Toy Story does deliver laughs, sometimes the laughs are there, sometimes there not. But I do always enjoy Tom Hank's energy playing Woody when he gets stressed out, it's one of the funniest things.

Also what's interesting about Toy Story, is the fact that in this film, Buzz and Woody can't stand each other and they go on this fantastic journey together, a lot of realism sinks into Buzz, and Woody realises that actually he's not the top dog. Although there toys, and I feel a little embarrassed saying this, it's almost like they go on their own separate emotional journey together.



So this film is basically about the building of a relationship between two characters. That's it's main focus. Having said that however, the supporting characters are just as interesting. It's just as I said in my 'Monsters University' review, It's so clever how the people at PIXAR can just create a story, just like that. I wouldn't dare say it's magic, but what I will say is that it is certainly exceptional talent.

Going into the down falls that Toy Story has, it has very few down falls but still has it's flaws as any other film does. This film suffers from the fatal error that is character development.

The same thing happened when I watched 'Paul' and when I watched 'Ted'. There is too much going into Buzz and Woody's character development, in comparison to the other toys in Andy's Room. It's too much focused on them, when the other characters are just as interesting as they are.

Also I did get the impression whilst watching it back, that terms of events are not proceeding as quickly as they could be. It is boring in places, I hate to say it but this film does have some boring moments, for instance when Buzz and Woody are stuck in Sid's house and there trying to escape, that scene drags out terribly, slows the film a bit, which is disappointing considering all the good bits which lead up to how they got to Sid's in the first place.



Other than that, I like the film a lot. Watching it back actually makes me think how much I love Toy Story.

I will give this film a 8/10.

Nit picky, but still a good film.

Thank you for reading this review.

NEXT TIME : I will review 'Rush' the film of the month. I will post that review on Wednesday the 25th of September 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment