Friday 23 May 2014

Review : X Men - Days of Future Past



X MEN - DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate attempt to change the past and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.

Hey Film Lovers 

Welcome to my newest review, which the newest X Men Film 'Days of Future Past' which arrived in UK Cinemas yesterday. I went to go and see it in 3D IMAX and it was a very enjoyable and fun experience. The third time I went to go and see a film in IMAX and really enjoyed it. The other two times were 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Iron Man 3'.

In the case of X Men and my attitude towards this film, there were many teasers and twists plotted throughout the development stages that this film was being released. 

Many of which were cleverly diverted into other films. For example at the end of 'Spiderman 2' there was a sneak preview for X Men, those kind of things draw people in. I can see why they do it, It's to gain as many people's interest as possible, because the more people who go to see it, the more money the film makes.

In terms of reviewing, obviously as a critic I want to observe the diversities of a film. I want to review different films, some films do stand out from others. By me I've seen some great film and shockingly horrible films. When going into X Men. I was hoping and wanting it to be better than 'The Wolverine' which was in every sense of the word an 'Okay' Film. Nothing special about it at all.

What I got was an interesting mystery and riddle of an action movie which dynamically dramatic and very adventurous to watch on screen. I enjoyed it, and certainly very much watching it in IMAX. Trouble is, I didn't pay too much attention to the plot or what was going on. I did leave the film thinking there wasn't much to it, and yet I sort of loved it. 

I know that sounds strange, but believe me it's not an obssered comment to make. The film itself is quite weak in terms of a storyline and plot but the presentation of it and the cause of its effect is not. It's very strong and the acting is very strong as well.

The storyline is  The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods. The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in an epic battle that must change the past in order to save our future.

So the plot fails, fine. Big deal ? The references to the other films are not. The connections are not so much embedded that you have to have seen those films in order to understand what's going on. It's all very clear, very coherent, and all in all add towards making a good watch. 

Days of Future Past, certainly does dare to achieve what the others daren't and that is to stretch the bar and go a little over the top in a playful way. The plot and the raw storyline just needed to be a little bit better developed, otherwise it's all over the place. 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment