Wednesday 4 June 2014

Review : A Million Ways to Die



A Million Ways to Die in the West : A film from the man who brought us Ted and Family Guy, Seth McFarlane is at it again. Writing, Directing and now starring in his own film. Which is over crowded with other famous faces which we're all familiar with from other things. The Story goes that as a cowardly farmer begins to fall for a mysterious new woman who comes into town, he must put his new-found courage to the test when her husband, a notorious gun-slinger, announces his arrival.

Hey Everyone

Welcome to my newest review, which is the newest Seth McFarlane movie. 'A Million Ways to Die in the West'. The film was released over the weekend, and I've had amble opportunity to go and see it shortly after it came out. Now I do find Seth McFarlane and his material very funny. I love Family Guy and I really enjoyed 'Ted' so I couldn't wait to see what Million Ways to Die would have in store for me.

The film is over crowded with famous faces, all of which are actors I'm familiar with. Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Amanada Seyfried, Neil Patrick Harris, Sarah Silverman and Giovanni Ribisi all of which do their pit and names help advertise the film quite well. 

As far as popularity goes, I think Seth McFarlane humour is for an acquired taste, I understand fully that not everyone likes Family Guy and Ted and this new film, It's completely understandable as to why this sort of comedy isn't for everyone, lots of crude humour and sex references and other rude stuff which mesh together to form a deliverance to make people laugh, and you laugh and enjoy the ride.

I did go into 'Million Ways to Die' wanting it be something new, wanting it to be something refreshing and highlight Seth McFarlane in a new diversity, and I also thought 'ok, It will do as well as Ted did' and actually quite the opposite happend. What this film did was make me see a new light to Seth McFarlane, the kind that me think 'you know what, that wasn't all that great'. This film is quite boorish. It strolls along in the world of Seth McFarlane which tells a immature, violent and I hate to say it unfunny tale. The film isn't funny. I sat there watching it in the cinema with about 8 people, no one laughed. I did start to question 'what's up with Seth McFarlane' why is he not making me enjoy his work? It was a challenge to want to enjoy this film whilst watching it. 

There was something about the pacing of it and the overall synopsis of moulding humour into the dialogue which didn't do it for me. The gags just arn't funny enough, and what it comes down to in the end is insufficient laughter, which is a dreadful shame. It really is. And I want to like it more, partly because I really like Seth McFarlane and his past achievements, but 'Million Ways to Die' was just a flop, a monumental flop. I think part of the reason it fails is because Seth McFarlane himself is in it, he's playing a character. After watching his performance as Albert, I don't think much of Seth as an actor. He's great at doing his voices, and he's a good director but I think acting is stretching it a bit for him.

So yeah... didn't like this film. don't think much of it. 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment